Monday, May 18, 2015

(The following was actually a forum post made by me in late 1997 on several Internet forums as I searched for my missing dogs.)

What would you do and how would you feel??
December 23, 1997
By Bob Zettler

This Saturday, December 20, I lost my two family member dogs at the Carlyle Lake WMA, just outside of Pittsburg and Vandalia, Illinois (Fayette County). No, that might not be true.  Actually, both of them might have been stolen and that's part of my dilemma and problem.

Let's retrace the events.  I had taken a new friend duck hunting that morning out of Parking Lot #1 at the Carlyle Lake walk-in flooded impoundments.  We had met over the Net in a forum just like this. We had decided to introduce him to the ducks at Carlyle for the first time and then catch pheasants at the Shelbyville WMA on our return trip to Springfield (IL).  I have two dogs but they are part and parcel members of our family.  There is Barney, a 14-year old Brittany (liver and white) that I inherited from my Father in 1990 when he died.  Barney is an excellent bird-dog and loves to chase quail and pheasant.

However, he has lost most of his hearing and is not as energetic as he used to be.  He is the last remnant for my 12 year old daughter from my family – her Mother and I divorced just after my Father passed away.  He is stockier than a regular Brittany and has two scars above his eyes from some minor surgery five years ago.

Then there is "JJ", a Yellow Lab.  He is just 10-months old but has brought so much joy into our home.  My eight year old son and he formed an immediate bond and he even cried last Thursday when "JJ" couldn't come with us in the car when I was taking them home to their Mother's.  "JJ" is a very lovable dog.  He can lie next to Barney and basically preen him (by licking his head) all day long.  He started out sleeping with me (I live alone) until I discovered that I am now allergic to cats and dogs.  However, I would occasionally bring him inside to sleep beside me - his favorite spot outside of being with my son.  He has no training and I simply wanted a companion, as Barney was getting on in years. "JJ" is a darker yellow, with a liver colored nose (not black) and the same type of eyes.  He has a formidable tail that will clear a coffee table and has grown to about 85 to 90 pounds already.

The two of them were inseparable when we would go out for a walk.  I would always let them run without a leash and they always responded to my call-back (as long as Barney could hear me).  So, when we returned from duck hunting shortly after 1 PM, I let them out of the van to run a little in the lot.  They returned to each time I yelled for them to come and stay close.  As the hunt was over and several of us had just met, we had a chance to chat before going on.  That's when things get sticky.  Remember me letting them out?  Well the tailgate was unlocked and open and I was immediately nervous that someone had broken in to the van but I found both dogs in the back, still kenneled. Then there were the two trucks that came into the lot, stopped for a short while, and then slowly left back up the road.

That's where it gets hazy and when the two disappeared.  We were all talking and looking out towards the fields when all of a sudden I got extremely nervous and started to call the dogs.  No response.  I was nervous from the trucks and not because I didn't see the dogs - that's the rub.  Was it a subconscious fear?  I don't know.  I simply know that is what started this nightmare.

My partner, the two other hunters and I searched until well after dark.  We knocked on neighbor's doors, talked to people outside, other hunters returning from the impoundments, and even the Site Ranger.  He was kind enough to open the gate and drive me around the levees' in search of the two. There was nothing left to do but come home and come back again on Sunday.  I left some of my clothes in the lot and urinated as frequently as I could, in order to leave my scent for them if they returned to Parking Lot 1#.  I was absolutely exhausted and went to bed in my clothes before 8 PM.  I returned at 3 AM with their bed from inside the house and placed it in the lot (for the scent).  I then began to place signs in all the check-in boxes and driving the roads, using a search-light, and asking any hunter I ran into if they would keep an eye out.  Everyone I talked to, and I mean everyone, were extremely sympathetic and supportive. They even took to spreading the word around to other hunters and local landowners.  However, no one had seen them.

The Site Ranger took me on a "complete", and I do mean a complete tour and search around the site.  Nothing.  I continued until 6 PM last night and finally returned home.

Obviously, my two second greatest fears are that one of those two trucks lured the dogs up the road and stole them when we were looking away or that they are lost in the tangled swamp and woods surrounding the Carlyle Lake WMA.  It’s been raining and quite a bit colder the last two nights.  There was skim ice on the impoundments yesterday.  They have never, ever done this or even wandered from home.  Their biggest trek has been around our one street (a circle) subdivision.  They could be let out or even get loose, run around the circle to check out things, and return home in 10 to 15 minutes.  Always.  Even when we have hunted some pretty rough stuff for pheasants and Barney can't hear me, he would always stop every few minutes and look for me.  I would even hide and wait until he would find me.  He always did.

The biggest fear I have is telling my children.  Barney and "JJ" are a part of our family - a big part.  This will compound the pain my daughter feels from the loss of her cat 6 weeks ago.  It too disappeared from our backyard but I think that the neighbor’s dog got it.  Hell, its Christmas time and my children's Christmas with me this year is on Wednesday.  I can't tell them now.  My thought is to tell them that they are hunting with someone and that is why they aren't in the backyard and then tell them next weekend when I have them again.  This whole thing is absolutely unreal.  I have not let myself feel any emotions either and it will hit me soon enough.  It’s like losing a child - it’s the unknown and fear for the worst.  Some of you will say, "Hey, it’s only a dog," but many of you will know and appreciate my dilemma and emotions.  They are a part of our family.

The one takes medicine and "JJ" does have the chip placed inside - BUT the vet needs to know who to look for.  Barney isn't worth anything to anyone but us.  He is too old for retraining or even science experimentation.  They would probably just put a bullet in his head, or worse.  They have been very gentle and loving companions to me and have maintained spirits when spirits were low. There is a small part of me that feels absolutely to blame but I strongly try to dissuade myself from this basic insecurity and blame.  I was watching them.

I even called them over to me and held onto "JJ's" collar when the trucks came into the lot.  That is how I know that they were close to me until after the trucks left.  I am torn between fearing for their safety and misery in being lost and the possibility that some unfeeling human animal does this sort of thing for profit or pleasure.

I have posted a reward for them and will be spending today calling the local newspaper to place an advertisement and other local agencies to be on the lookout.  The DNR staff has been so very nice and considerate, I can't begin to thank them enough, but it doesn't look good.  No one has seen anything and the DNR staff has been checking around this morning already.  I will keep people abreast of what happens and will appreciate any and all suggestions on what to do.  I can be e-mailed direct at: "zett...@aol.com"; or I can be reached at 217/529-7373.  I am sorry to be so long in my post but these two mean a lot to our family and I just simply want them back.  Thank you all for your understanding, attention, patience and consideration.  May you and your family have a safe and happy Christmas time.  I will be back at Carlyle on Christmas.


Bob Zettler

No comments:

Post a Comment